Posted by Graeme, on Friday 15th February 2013
Red Velvet Cake by Yankee Candles UK
Don't wait to indulge in a slice of red velvet cake. This classic American dessert is a stunning deep red cake with gloriously rich velvety texture. It is typically prepared as a layer cake topped with cream icing. This creates a dramatic first cut with its rich red colour which is sharply contrasted by white cream icing.
The original recipe is associated with the famous Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City but is now considered a Southern American recipe. And our favourite All-American candle brand, Yankee Candle perfectly captures the essence of this wonderful cake in a glass candle jar.
Yankee Candle’s Red Velvet Cake is from the Limited Edition Collection of Eat Dessert First. The range of decadent scented candles also includes a yummy Chocolate Layer Cake candle and a scrumptious Banana Cream Cake candle.
The candle is the most decadent creation of creamy frosting atop moist cake and a touch of brown sugar. So very sweet! Red Velvet Cake is available from Yankee.co.uk as a small tumbler or large jar, both with a cute scalloped lid to evoke the edge of a cake stand. The candle is also available in a decorative glass dessert dish with up to 30 hours of fragrance.
Red Velvet Cake Recipe
Following our cake theme, we have included an amazingly good recipe for this legendary ruby red velvet cake.
1 stick butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 ounces red food colouring
2 Tablespoons cocoa
1 cup buttermilk
2 1/4 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 Tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup butter
Red Velvet Cake:
• Preheat oven to 350 degree F
• Cream together butter and sugar in a larger mixer bowl.
• Add eggs one at a time, beating well.
• In another bowl, mix red food colouring and cocoa until cocoa is completely dissolved. Add to the creamed mixture.
• Mixing on low speed, add buttermilk and flour alternately, beginning and ending with flour. Mix well but do not over-beat to ensure a light fluffy cake.
• Mix in vanilla extract
• Blend the baking soda into the batter.
• Transfer into two floured and greased 9 inch round cake pans.
• Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes. Cool
• Blend into a small saucepan the 3 tablespoons of flour and the cup of milk. Add the milk to the flour slowly, avoiding lumps.
• Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture resembles glue.
• Cool completely.
• Cream together sugar, butter, and vanilla until fluffy.
• Add to cooked mixture. Beat, high speed, until very fluffy. Frost cooled cake.
Visit our 'Eat dessert first' Pinboard on Pinterest or leave a comment on our Yankee Candle Facebook page. We'd love to hear about your home baking experience! And whether you like the new Eat Dessert First collection from Yankee Candle?